Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Movin' on... over.

Last night, I told the manager of my apartment building that I'm planning to move out by the end of April. There were a few things to talk over, such as the screw holes in the bathroom wall and the occasional visits by a very cute mouse, but for the most part, there wasn't much to the conversation. She and I have gotten along well, and it appears this will continue through the move-out process.

For myself, though, I'll miss this place. It's the only place I've lived alone, and I've appreciated the shelter it has offered me. After living in group houses throughout the many years of grad school, I immediately moved in with my girlfriend at the time. When we split up in September, 2002, I moved into this place, with it's new hardwood floor, antique tiled bathroom, gas stove, and quiet hallways with mostly friendly neighbors. Since then, the apartment has been my place to come back to for solitude, to cook for friends and lovers, and from which to venture forth for walks around Lake Merritt and shopping runs to the Berkeley Bowl.

Now, however, I'll be moving in with my new girlfriend (and fiancee) in North Beach, San Francisco, so while I'm already waxing nostalgic about living alone, I hope I don't live alone again for quite some time (maybe never). North Beach is densely populated, and a popular destination for tourists, who can often be heard yelling and generally whooping it up on weekends. You don't have to worry as much about the hours of stores and cafes there. In the past, this contrast has provoked a sigh of relief from me upon returning to this side of the bay, but I imagine I'll get used to it, and even like it. Just another phase of life, I suppose.

No comments: