Monday, March 21, 2005

How to write a Craig's List personals ad

This is where I try to impart some probably useless information, a small speck of dust in the swirling blogosphere, in the hopes that someone somewhere will connect to it and use it.

The basics: You must say something about yourself, what you are looking for, and give your age, height and weight. I'm always amazed how many ads omit one or more of these things. Let's assume you're beyond that.

Most ads have a very basic format. "I like these things, have all these positive qualities, and I'm looking for someone who is similar." More or less. These come across as very much the same: long walks on the beach, partner in crime, good food and wine, athletic companion, blah blah blah. What you want to do instead is to just express what is on your mind at the moment, more offhand than crafted, and a little about why you're looking for someone. Be sure to include the basics, but they are not the main point. The main point is to write in a way which expresses who you are indirectly, so that your personality comes across between the lines, like body language. Of course you want to be on good behavior, but don't worry about appearing to be perfect.

Below is the post by which I figured this out. I wasn't trying to write a real ad; I was just blowing off some steam. To my surprise two attractive, interesting, educated women replied.

We all have our own requirements...

Reply to: anon-11377495@craigslist.org
Date: 2003-05-16, 10:28AM

If you're up for some self-indulgent rambling, read on...

So I think, well, I'm a pretty nifty guy - well-educated professional,
well-intentioned and kind, good cook, appreciative of the arts, politically
aware, a little edgy, reasonably emotionally / spiritually aware....
so what's the problem with finding someone? First, it seems,
I'm not the largest guy - 5' 9" and more skinny than not (aged nearly 35).
It pisses me off that many women who are shorter than I am want someone taller.

But, heck, I seem to have my own "stupid stumbling block" criteria:
you must be exceedingly smart - intelligence engaged with life. Of
course, the more traits / interests you share with me the better, but
that seems to be the most difficult to find.

No comments: