Monday, November 15, 2010

Berkeley coffee update

When I first moved back to Berkeley a year ago, I was worried about getting coffee from my favorite San Francisco roasters. It quickly became clear that this would not be a problem. Caffe Mediterraneum on Telegraph sells beans from Barefoot, Local 123 sells beans from Flying Goat, and there's a Blue Bottle stand at the downtown Farmers' Market Saturday mornings. I could go on as there seem to be more options every month or two. (There's still nothing in downtown Berkeley, though. In downtown Oakland, there's Modern: Coffee and Cafe Gabriela.)

However, I've started buying coffee roasted at the Coffee Market on Hopkins near the Monterrey Market. The roaster doesn't have a particular "style", but his lighter roasts seem similar enough to those above that it looks to become my much cheaper alternative to them. He also sells his roasted beans in pound bags at the Country Cheese store on San Pablo near University.

No comments: