Monday, January 09, 2006

Yet another field change

After returning from Eritrea (free trip there for the work done, but no pay otherwise), I made another promising connection in the renewable energy / energy efficiency business. However, that led to neither work nor pay. It seemed that there was little need of someone with my sorts of skills and interests in the field. There are companies running weather simulations for wind prospecting and forecasting, but there are only a few in the country, and none in the bay area. Instead, it seemed more likely that I could find interesting employment in San Francisco's financial services sector, something that physicists have been known to do since the 80's or so. Basically, I'm a modeler, and I thought that I may as well see if I can earn a living and keep myself entertained modeling dynamics of markets instead of atmospheres. It would be nice to be doing something which felt useful, but one thing at a time, I guess.

When I mentioned this shift to a friend, she mentioned that she had recently met someone already in the energy business who was having a hard time getting into renewable energy. Another friend, a consultant in wind energy, opined that most of the challenges in renewable energy involved figuring out new ways to sell it, not how to analyze it better. So there I had it.

In response to posting my resume on Craig's List, I'm involved with a guy who's been successfully trading on his own for six to seven years who's putting together the ability to manage client money. He wants me to help him develop trading models to use for his clients, which sounds like fun to me. I've started reading Intro to Econophysics and have ordered Dynamics of Markets. Yum!

So let me join the chorus of folks thanking Craig's List: apartment, wife, job! Next: bicycle.

No comments: