Friday, May 13, 2005

Wherefore art thou, UC Theater?

The UC Theater, on University Avenue in downtown Berkeley, was a repertory theater which played fabulous movies for runs of, at most, a week, and, more often, only one day. In its cavernous, dingy interior, I was introduced to many movies I still adore, and more movies which I'm sure I'd adore if I still remembered. Driving past the old marquee yesterday, I was reminded of the many years in which I lived only a few blocks away and in which I went to the movies there only relatively rarely. After it was gone, of course, I regretted not going to see movies there more often. I still haven't seen Wages of Fear, Irma Vep, Gummo, Yi Yi, and many more that I wanted to see at the time. I'd think that, now that I'm in the city, there should be a similar great movie-going experience within easy reach, but there is no theater, much less something like UC Theater, in North Beach. I guess there's the Roxie in the Mission, but, so far, all the theaters here feel less accessible or less interesting. Yes, in Oakland, I lived right by the Parkway, but the movies there were, for the most part, pretty dull to my taste. So... suggestions for what's here in San Francisco?

3 comments:

robin said...

i saw irma vep at the castro; i would recommend the castro, and the roxie (cuz the devilettes perform at the roxie... maybe i'll try out to be a devilette in september)....

the only problem is, they're a bit far from north beach, eh? i dont know anything in your new neighborhood that isnt a restaurant.....

Anonymous said...

There's the Theater District in mid-market; avant-garde film at the Fringe Festival (260 performances by 50 local, national and international theatre companies over a whirlwind 12-day period in September.) There are also film events at the Yerba Buena Center; beach blanket babylon; etc. etc.

Anonymous said...

Red Vic in that Haight also did arthouse rotations when I lived there...

The Roxie was never as good as the UC, I sadly thought.

The Four Star in the Richmond, if it's still around, often has an eclectic if random selection... it's where I saw Rivers and Tides.

Generally I found the SF movie venues disappointing in comparison with Berkeley/EastBay. Cinemateque at Yerba Buena has interesting avant-garde programming, but the Berkeley PFA still rules the school in terms of something interesting going on practically every night. And even tho I lived blocks away from the Roxie I found myself BARTing to downtown Berkeley a lot to catch some late-run show at the Shattuck or at UC or Fine Arts. Castro is probably your best bet.

Not as many good bookstores in SF either, sigh...

-pwl