Tuesday, May 17, 2005

My Orchid is a Freak!

My Masdevallia wasn't blooming when I bought it. My thinking was that it was such a nice healthy plant and that the lack of flowers to advertise it made it cheaper. The tag in the pot, Masd. elephanticeps x Masd. coccinea made it sound quite promising. Indeed, the buds it sprouted kept getting bigger and had this gorgeous deep scarlet / maroon color. The tips of the petals are bright yellow. However, the flowers did not open all the way. The petals, which had promised to be long and tapering, stayed partly curled up, sometimes into a kinda cute curly-q, but sometimes really awkwardly folded back behind the flower. Now, they're still pretty and actually have a faint peachy mango scent, but this is not quite what I had expected. My father, an orchid grower of many years, says that, at least with Cymbidiums and Cattleyas, this kind of a thing is a major issue in breeding: whether the flower opens well and completely. So I imagine what I got was a cross which someone grew that didn't quite go as desired, and which they decided to sell off. I'm glad to have it and happy it's doing well and all, but hmmm..... always the fly in the ointment, I guess.

No comments: