Friday, May 11, 2007

Work

I've now been working for three whole weeks. What of it?

I still like the company and the other people in it. It's small, friendly and cozy. There's lots to be interested in, lots to learn, and helpful people around me.

After driving there, about an hour each way, I bought a new bicycle (Trek 1500) and am riding it to and from the Caltrain station on both ends. It's nice to be riding again, although I can't say I relish riding in San Francisco traffic the way I used to in Berkeley or, heh, Woods Hole. The flat, smooth roads of Silicon Valley are much more pleasant than the hilly, pothole-strewn roads of San Francisco (especially Chinatown, which is fortunately not very busy when I ride through in the morning), but I still don't feel like I get much of a ride before I have to stop at a traffic signal.

There are, as ever, issues about coffee. When I started, the office coffee was Folger's Gourmet Supreme. This was not good coffee, but I had to admit that it wasn't excruciatingly awful either. The current canister, however, is regular Folger's. This is spit-it-out awful. Caffeine withdrawal was more pleasant. Apparently, I would be reimbursed for any Peet's I buy and bring in, but we still have that big bin of Folger's to go through. In the meantime, I brought in my small coffee maker and will brewing my own supply.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's the new job?

Throw the Folgers away, and the whole office will breathe a sigh of relief (although there will always be one person who actually LIKED the nasty stuff).

Olwen