Friday, December 15, 2006

J's first real mushroom hunt

A couple times earlier, we went to places where we thought there might be mushrooms, but no luck. On Tuesday, we went up in the East Bay hills to one of our favorite chanterelle spots, but there was only one old chanterelle. We found several oldish Boletus truncatus before J made us go back to the car to change his diaper. I went back out by myself while L fed J in the car, and found a decent batch of Amanita calyptrata (or lanei, depending on who you believe), which was nice since I had found only one or two of this delicious mushroom in the last couple seasons.

Today, we went to another East Bay hills spot where I found a very nice bloom of A. calyptrata a few years ago. There were a nice bunch waiting for me there, so, more tonight. Also, from a stump we passed by, I plucked a beautiful cluster of Armillaria mellea, honey mushrooms.

My vision, which has been pretty good, is finally deteriorating somewhat. I reflected on the hunt today that I looked forward to J becoming a new sharper pair of eyes on the mushroom hunts.

No comments: