Saturday, August 06, 2005

Beet Salad

Last night I made a beet salad with which I'm so pleased that I want to share. :) The beets were boiled, peeled and chopped, with balsamic vinegar poured over them. In some olive oil, I blended a couple cloves of pressed garlic, chipotle chili powder, and a dash of Chinese 5-spice. This mixture was then stirred into the beets. Salt to taste. The "chili powder" was made from whole dried chipotle pods ground up in a coffee grinder. Be careful with the 5-spice. It's wonderful with just a dash, but becomes repulsive (to me) when it's a distinctly strong flavor. The beets went well with buttered brown rice, braised spinach with sesame, and a 2002 Turley Juvenile Zinfandel.

I'm particularly happy about this because these are the sort of flavors I've been trying to blend with beets for years, but this is the first combination that has really worked out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was almost like eating red meat, the beets were so succulent and blood-red (sorry to offend the vegetarians). I must say. though, the cook did fuss and bother a bit with the making of those beets!